TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Change, and What it Takes
Kevin - 2007-12-20
In response to Change, and What it Takes (Yingwen Laoshi)

True enough Yingwen - many teachers are lured here with false promises, and that includes "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly." But I think it's fair to recognize that, though there are far too many instances where foreigners are misled by recruiters and/or schools, the bottom line is that this is not seen as acceptable behavior by the government. In fact, I would go so far as to say that it is a point of frustration for them and for anyone who has high hopes for the future of this country. For example, I know for certain that the Dean of my college, in that he must satisfy the need for foreign teachers, feels very frustrated by the pool of applicants he must choose from. He has confided to me that he often ends up with teachers that he usually puts on the bottom of the pile and that he only hires because there simply aren't enough qualified teachers available. During the course of the school year, some of those teachers are so ineffective or behave in such inappropriate ways that he has no choice but to fire them, which leaves the rest of us having to put in overtime.

Well, certainly the blame for the above problem should be spread around. But the bottom line is that it is those students who are hoping to be educated in a professional, academic environment that are the ones that suffer the most - or, perhaps I should say, it is their suffering that should matter the most to those of us who are after all only guests here.

I think that due to your fair minded attitude you are trying to find a way to support the clowns, and I admire you for that. However, the more they bitch and moan, the less likely it is that my Dean or others like him will have a larger pool of applicants from which to choose.

People who complain about the way the ball bounces are usually the ones who dropped it
Anonymous

Messages In This Thread
for what it's worth -- Kevin -- 2007-12-06
Why Should "Bozo" Care? -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2007-12-15
Re: Why Should "Bozo" Care? -- Kevin -- 2007-12-16
Change, and What it Takes -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2007-12-20
Re: Change, and What it Takes -- Kevin -- 2007-12-20
Re: for what it's worth -- extefler -- 2007-12-08
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Change, and What it Takes

Go to another board -