TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
BigAppleBob - 2008-06-20
In response to Re: RE: Reputable Korean schools (The Owl)

Yep, I'm completely with Marty on this one... As I said previously, I spent five difficult years teaching English in China. The students were basically wonderful and had little to do with what I found so appalling in China. The worst part of teaching in China is employers, attitude, and work conditions.

I used this website and others as a venue to warn FTs (and those considering working in China) about bad schools and employers, and each and every time I received a bullying reply much like what Marty received from Rabid Dog. I thought these forums were meant for us to share information and (sometimes) warnings.

But no, we always get pounded by these hostile guys who obviously are on the recruiting end of the equation. They get quite nasty and abusive when they think their livelihood / gravy train (luring naive and unsuspecting newbies to China and Korea) is being threatened. Why else would they foam at the mouth as they do?

As I also said previously, I very recently came to Korea, believing it would be an improvement over China. The things that were bad in China are a but better in Korea, but the things that were decent in China -- such as housing (at least for me) and daily living assistance by schools/employers is non-existent in Korea. The place I currently live in Seoul is shameful. South Korea is every bit as exploitative -- and more -- than China. I never thought I'd encounter such poor and contempable treatment as I've met with here.

I don't recommmend China OR Korea to anyone who is looking for a rewarding teaching experience or ethical treatment by ESL employers.

Messages In This Thread
Re: RE: Reputable Korean schools -- Marty -- 2008-06-20
Re: RE: Reputable Korean schools -- The Owl -- 2008-06-20
I concur! -- BigAppleBob -- 2008-06-20

Go to another board -