TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › do you recognize this?
Henry - 2004-10-23

Hi,

Can someone help me?

Ive been given a lesson plan to look at which is apparently original work but I have a strong suspicion that it is not and that it comes from a book somewhere.

If anyone recognises the following would they mind letting me know where it comes from?

Many thanks, Henry

-----

1. Display the poster of marine animals on the board.

2. Introduce the topic by asking students if they can name all the animals on the poster. (Pictures on the poster are of sharks, fish (reef and pelagic), dolphins, whales, whale shark, jelly fish and octopus.

3. Discuss with students: where these creatures are found, what they eat Etc. write down students responses to your questions on the board.

4. Explain briefly the anatomy of fish and whales. Do this by means of Q& A. Pointing to the animals and the parts you want to have identified. What is this Fin, What is that? Gills, What is this? Tail fin, what are those? Eyes. What do they eat? Seaweed, What does a whale have on the top of his head? Blowhole As you move along place flashcards on the board to act as reference to the questions. This activity is leading students in making comparisons and contrasts between fish and whales.

5. Explain to students you are going to read a short story about fish and whales. They must listen very carefully to story as you will ask questions about the story afterwards. The story is to compare how fish and whales breathe under water.
Read story to students, as you read show the supporting pictures in the story to the students. This helps for visual references to new vocabulary that might be unknown to the students or to reinforce the vocabulary on the flashcards (fins/ gills/ eyes, tail fin) displayed on the board prior to reading the text.

6. Ask questions on how fish breathe. See if students can identify the order of sequencing in the text and the differences in breathing between fish and whales. What similarities can be noted between whales and fish?

Messages In This Thread
do you recognize this? -- Henry -- 2004-10-23
marine animals -- Gary Harwell -- 2004-10-27
supposed to be original -- Henry -- 2004-10-28
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › do you recognize this?

Go to another board -