TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › The BIG picture
The Arrogant One - 2004-11-01
In response to Insightful (A.)

> Let's face it AO, you have some sharp insight to the BIG picture.
> you're pretty cool guy.

> you know many so-called native English speakers have horrible command
> of English, and I'm not talking just about those who try to teach.

> I'm talking about, your average Americans, don't speak English very
> well themselves.
> They live in America everyday and can't speak or spell very well.

> So they shouldn't come to asia parading around as "experts"
> of their language.

==================================================

Thanks, A., for the kind words. I appreciate that very much.

I think you pretty well comprehend what I was trying to say ... that the undeniable fact that so damned many of the so-called foreign experts, originating from places such as the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc., are not truly qualified to enter an ESL classroom, much less consider themselves teachers! This is a most embarrassing fact to have to recognize ... especially being an American, myself. The problem is that so many of the owners of ESL schools on both sides of the Pacific speak little or no English, haven't the slightest concept of HOW to teach, or care about anything other than moving bodies for profit! It's ludicrous to closely observe the inner-workings of some of the ESL schools right here in Los Angeles. Teachers, for the most part, are chosen for their youth and typically Anglo-Saxon looks ... many with (at best), little or no experience in the field. But, not to worry; during these relatively hard financial times here in the States, there's a veritable army of clones waiting in the wings for their first crack at the old ESL game! What happens to the first batch who don't fair too well on their first job in the States? You guessed it. They usually wind up in China or Korea where they're welcomed with open arms and given the opportunity to continue their acting careers. Ergo, the combination of the unqualified, inexperienced foreign expert with the likewise inexperienced, confused and ultra-shy student, is a perfect setup for a case of the blind leading the blind! The problem in the States is that we really have no effective on-line teachers board to handle domestic ESL teaching issues, much less detect the handicaps of those who are unjustifiably well settled in teaching positions. Perhaps the more astute instructors here are aware of the handicaps of some of their colleagues -- especially those whose presence on the scene has been tolerated for many moons -- yet, nothing is ever said to endanger anyone's job. The only thing we DO have to ensure any consistency on the part of the instructors here in Los Angeles is a system of mandatory workshops in association with the renewal of one's ESL teacher's license. However, NOT EVERY ESL school in the city strictly enforces the necessity of one's even possessing the damned license! Thus, if very little or absolutely no action is ever taken here to guarantee the professionalism of ESL instructors, then you can be pretty confident that nothing earth-shattering will ever occur in the Asian ESL marketplace to both recognize and maintain a desired professional standard of instructional quality.

All the best from,

The Arrogant One
>\-|

Messages In This Thread
The ESL instructor: animal, vegetable, or ... BS artist? -- The Arrogant One -- 2004-11-01
don't start a sentence with 'AND' -- q -- 2004-11-02
Depends on your point of view *Link* -- Stranger Passing By -- 2005-02-03
Rules are made to be broken. And I'll write any way I like. -- OnceWritten -- 2004-11-11
q2 "and" -- the observer -- 2004-11-03
Make sure you observe the classics too -- ESL_IN_ASIA -- 2004-11-03
The A#al Retentives Guide to the Great-Grammar-Icing on the ESL cake for Dummies.... -- Beatrix -- 2004-11-03
games, dummies and a#al retentives -- ESL_IN_ASIA -- 2004-11-03
The complete id##ts guide................ -- Beatrix -- 2004-11-03
May I.. -- Ferpectly right! -- 2004-11-04
Good point and good timing :-) -- ESL_IN_ASIA -- 2004-11-04
Drunk on your own verbosity! -- Beatrix -- 2004-11-04
EXPOITS! Soooooo #@#!@ many o' dem! -- The Arrogant One -- 2004-11-02
And... -- Ferpectly right! -- 2004-11-02
Different horses for different courses! -- Beatrix -- 2004-11-02
The fat lady threw away the grammar book!!! -- Beatrix -- 2004-11-01
A fact is a fact ... but, that doesn't make it right! -- The Arrogant One -- 2004-11-01
Don't use the G word !!!!!!!!!!!! -- ESL_IN_ASIA -- 2004-11-01
Oral -- Dos -- 2004-11-02
Ditto in Thailand -- Robert Newman -- 2004-11-02
ESL pedagogy continues......... -- Beatrix -- 2004-11-01
Bottoms Up Arrogant One? -- Beatrix -- 2004-11-01
Zitat des tages -- x21 -- 2004-11-01
Ich danke Ihnen fr ....??? -- The Arrogant One -- 2004-11-01
AO=Austrian dialect -- x21 -- 2004-11-01
Look! He's a poet and doesn't know it! -- The Arrogant One -- 2004-11-01
Das ist ein teil deines problems -- x21 -- 2004-11-01
Insightful -- A. -- 2004-11-01
The BIG picture -- The Arrogant One -- 2004-11-01