TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Aston English Wuhan - Teachers Discussion
Steve - 2008-07-26

For the record, some FACTS about Aston, from somewhere who has, and continues to, work at an Aston school:

Teachers do not HAVE TO work more than 21 hours. They can choose which contract they take: 15, 20 or 25 hours per week. Many teachers choose the 25 hour contracts, and nobody is forced to sign any contract they don't want. If you want an easy life then take a 15 hour contract - you'll work the weekend then get 5 consecutive days off work during the week, which is ideal for those that want plenty of spare time to go travelling and/or learn chinese.

Unlike many other schools, teachers do not have to work office hours. For example, a 20 hour contract means you will teach 20 hours of classes each week - that is all. There are no added extras. If any other duties are offered (not GIVEN, but OFFERED!) then the teacher will be paid at the standard overtime rate (and, naturally, have the right to say no if they don't want those duties).

Yes, the teachers will usually share an apartment with another teacher. Some Aston schools WILL offer individual apartments. In the places that don't offer them as standard, you can still have an apartment to yourself. For example, at the school where I am, you can pay 600RMB per month to subsidise the apartment rent (hardly a prohibitive fee), so you can have it all to yourself.

I don't think I've just been lucky at my Aston school, since I know many teachers here, and at other Aston schools around China, and I've never met anyone that has had a problem working for them. However, I do know teachers that have "escaped" (their words!) from other schools to come to Aston, just like I also know teachers that started at Aston, tried working elsewhere, then came back to Aston as soon as they could - I think that alone speaks volumes.

To anyone that is thinking about working for Aston, I suggest that before you accept anything you ask for the contact details of the person that actually runs the school you want to go to. I know that the manager of my school is perfectly happy to chat to you on the phone or exchange emails that will answer any questions you might have, and you can also be put in touch with some current foreign teachers for you to speak with directly.

I also suggest that you disregard the ultra-negative comments you read on websites like these (that goes for comments about Aston or any other school). The simple fact is that the tiny minority that had a bad experience in China are FAR more likely to post vitriolic comments on the internet than the vast majority are (that actually had a good time!).

Messages In This Thread
Re: Aston English Wuhan - Teachers Discussion -- Steve -- 2008-07-26
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Aston English Wuhan - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -