TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › The ageist Asians
esl in asia - 2004-12-06
In response to AGE Factor (William Box)

As for Japan, where I work, age is a factor over 30. That being said, it is possible to work freelance or find some part-time work. But you must bring enough to live on until you find work. Dont expect a school to sponsor you if you are over 35. I am the old age of 39 and when I was 38 I tried to find work in Japan.

I have a CELTA teaching certificate and I had one year of ESL teaching experience before I applied to Japan. No one, and I mean no one, was even interested in a face-to-face interview. I dont think it was my resume, as I had it checked and everything was par for the industry. It could only mean my age.

However, I took a chance and came to Japan with NO job offer and spent my own savings (I took $6,000 and spent $4,000). I actually found work teaching old Japanese housewives English for $30/hr. The only problem for me is its boring as hell (you can only talk about food for so long!!!).

Anyway, my point is that you need to have your own money saved up and come over and look yourself. You will find work but it will be hard to find a private school. I am ONLY speaking of Japan and NOT China. China is probably not as ageist as Japan. In Japan they want a young, white monkey to dance and sing in class. You are not a teacher but a performer, which is why they have the age limit of the ripe old age of 30-35.

My advice is to try China and go if AND ONLY IF, you have money saved up to live. Remember, China is cheap to live. You would not need that much saved to live on while you looked for work. Dont go to recruiters or rely on an overseas contract with a plane ticket. You just need to have your own cash to live on and then take your time to find the right gig. So many English teachers live one dime from poverty that they are always at the mercy of the schools. Bring enough to live for three months and a plane ticket back and you will be fine. Then, you will have the luxury to pick and choose and NOT BEG.

Good luck from another old man trapped in ESL

Messages In This Thread
AGE Factor -- William Box -- 2004-12-05
The ageist Asians -- esl in asia -- 2004-12-06
age -- The Observer -- 2004-12-06
re The Observer -- falutin -- 2004-12-06
re the Observer -- falutin -- 2004-12-06
hi falutin -- The Observer -- 2004-12-06
hi falutin -- falutin -- 2004-12-06
hi falutin -- The Observer -- 2004-12-07
age -- falutin -- 2004-12-06
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › The ageist Asians