TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Payment
Yingwen Laoshi - 2008-10-10
In response to Re: Payment (riddlemethis)

Thanks riddlemethis,

Yunnan? I have fond memories of that place. Not just the school and the students we taught in/taught, but I also enjoyed some excursions to some lovely laid back historic places in that province.

I'm impressed with your attempt to get involved with the teaching policy and curriculum at your college, and can understand your frustration. I believe that your college is a private one- is it not? I think that a private college is a contradiction in terms. Now, I can understand the concept of a private training centre or language "school". Those places are really only businesses. However, a college surely has a real responsibility to educate students. In an exclusively private college, education is almost certain to take a back-seat.

A public college would be a much more suitable setting for what you're trying to achieve. I may have read it wrongly, but in a recent post you indicated that you were considering leaving China. If you do in fact stay in China, then my present school would not be a bad choice for you. It is a semi-private establishment, but because of its public side and maybe also due to its close relationship with an American university, it is not just concerned with the business side of things. A conscientious, whole-hearted teacher is very much appreciated here and they are rewarded for their efforts. This school is far from perfect, but what I said in the previous sentence makes it a school where I think you personally would make more progress in. The foreign language management will support you if they see you making a genuine effort to make a difference. The vice-dean here has asked for my advice on the curriculum, and they seem to encourage input from teachers who they feel have their hearts in teaching.

I've been here just over two years, but will likely leave at the end of this semester because of family reasons. If I was planniing on staying at a school indefinitely, this one would be my choice. Anyway, you know where we are.

Keep your head up. I know that you won't give in and that you realize what you are doing is worthwhile. Keep up the good work!

Yingwen.

Messages In This Thread
Payment -- Bo -- 2008-09-27
Re: Payment -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2008-09-28
Re: Payment -- riddlemethis -- 2008-09-28
Re: Payment -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2008-09-29
Re: Payment -- riddlemethis -- 2008-10-07
Re: Payment -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2008-10-10
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Payment

Go to another board -