TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary
Turino - 2008-11-02

Put it this way,I'd be satisfied with 4000 - 5000 Yuan a month for teaching 16 periods of oral English a week at a college in a small city or on the outskirts of a big one in Northern China.In fact, I dislike provincial capitals in China because of their size and the relative unfriendliness of some of the citizens there.
But that's not necessarily what other FT's are looking for,either in terms of location or salary or workload or any combination of them.
I'd regard my ideal 16-lesson/week job as a part-time job and it would suit me fine.But the college asked me if I would accept a busier schedule, 22 periods a week instead of the original 18 a week. I accommodated them,obviously for a higher salary. Now I'm on 6300 a month instead of the originally agreed 5040 a month,pro rata approximately.But I'd have been equally happy with the lower salary for teaching fewer periods!It's true that I'm a native speaker of English who has taught in China for a long time to date, but money isn't my primary concern.
As for you, don't forget that public schools/colleges in China have to offer you salaries commensurate with your academic qualifications.If you are as good a teacher as you claim you are in your resume, you should be able to negotiate a moderately higher salary on completing your first contract at that school. But of course what you think of your teaching skills needn't be reflected by your employer's evaluation of them.
As for those qualifications for teaching English that you've mentioned,I've found that employers much prefer FT'S to have previous teaching experience in China rather than the paper qualifications you mentioned in one of your other posts.
Finally,I agree with you re the unfairness of employment opportunities and salaries re creed and colour of FT's and would-be FT's.But there's little, if anything, that we can do to change it.
Also bear in mind that many Chinese employers are very picky when it comes to a foreigner's accent.And they're often not the best judges of that in any case.
Good luck,anyway,but don't believe oral promises.If the employer hasn't signed for something in the contract,it'll be extremely unlikely you will get it later!

Messages In This Thread
China: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- cobra -- 2008-11-01
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- Ali -- 2008-11-02
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- cobra -- 2008-11-06
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- Turino -- 2008-11-01
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- cobra -- 2008-11-02
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- Turino -- 2008-11-02
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- Raoul Duke -- 2008-11-01
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- cobra -- 2008-11-02
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- Turino -- 2008-11-02
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- Raoul Duke -- 2008-11-02
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- Raoul Duke -- 2008-11-03
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- SMACK -- 2008-11-03
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- Raoul Duke -- 2008-11-04
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- Turino -- 2008-11-04
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- callmefred -- 2008-11-04
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- Raoul Duke -- 2008-11-04
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- callmefred -- 2008-11-04
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary

Go to another board -