TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: "Canadian Racism toward Americans"
Turino - 2008-11-25

I don't think the incident you were involved in was the same one that I was witness to. The victim was from Greenwich village and was employed as an FT by a rival recruiting agency was what I was told. As for three girls being involved, I'm puzzled as I didn't hear anyone talking about girls after the attack. Neither did I observe the actual assault taking place, as I was seated near the stage at the time.
But I did see the aggressor handing over 2000 Yuan to a bouncer. A colleague of mine told me the money represented damages for the attack, which would be paid to the bleeding victim. But it's within the realms of possibility that that money could have been pocketed as a bribe by the club's staff so as not to involve the police.
I'm not of the opinion that unsavoury incidents like that are commonplace in Yuncheng, or for that matter, China. And I don't believe either that all FT's teaching in that city are bad people.
But it only takes one to be at the wrong end of that kind of situation once to sour one's time abroad. So I'm ultra cautious these days whenever I'm in Chinese bars/night clubs frequented by foreigners drinking alcohol.
As for what happened afterwards at that hotel, I returned to my apartment once I was convinced that the aggressor had sufficiently calmed down to be left there without committing another assault and/or damaging the premises.
Seemingly he left for Shanghai the following morning. Later I heard that he had been let go by our recruiter earlier on the day of the assault after 3 years or so of teaching in Yuncheng. He had been fortunate enough not to have ended up behind bars that night, something in China to be avoided at all costs imo!

Messages In This Thread
Re: "Canadian Racism toward Americans" -- Turino -- 2008-11-11
Re: "Canadian Racism toward Americans" -- Chris -- 2008-11-23
Re: "Canadian Racism toward Americans" -- Turino -- 2008-11-25
Re: "Canadian Racism toward Americans" -- Chris -- 2008-11-30
Re: "Canadian Racism toward Americans" -- Turino -- 2008-11-30
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: "Canadian Racism toward Americans"

Go to another board -