TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: NETWORK ESL/chinaeslnet - Teachers Discussion
somewhat burned - 2008-11-30

I took a job this outfit hooked me up with and have lived to regret it. Ask questions. Lots and lots of questions. This Chris guy is lazy and does very little of the actual legwork. He is a real expat, though. I talked with him on the phone a few times. There's a Chinese woman there whose name now escapes me and she is the one who communicates with schools. I find it impossible to believe they could find you a job for 12000 yuan a month. They work mostly with universities and middle schools and I wound up not even getting the 6000 I was supposed to get so 12000 sounds a bit out there. It is essential to stay on top of them. They'll go weeks and weeks without getting in touch if you let them. They're not the worst folks out there and they do have real positions, unlike some other shady recruiters, but just keep in mind it's the schools that pay them so they'll do what it takes to deliver a body to a school even if it requires telling some little white lies. Their claim that they help you after you arrive at your school is simply not true. Be very wary if they attempt to push you to a particular school when you have never expressed any interest in it, especially if it isn't quite what you asked for, and keep pushing even after you express interest in another position. They did that to me and I'm sorry I didn't pick up on it. They seem to have a few "pet" schools they work a bit harder for. (Possibly for "guanxi" reasons.) It's possible to get a good job from them. Just keep your guard up.

Messages In This Thread
NETWORK ESL/chinaeslnet - Teachers Discussion -- Bryan -- 2007-01-15
Re: NETWORK ESL/chinaeslnet - Teachers Discussion -- somewhat burned -- 2008-11-30
Answer for Bryan - Teachers Discussion -- Dianne -- 2007-01-16
Network ESL - Teachers Discussion -- Bryan -- 2007-01-16
Answer for Bryan - Teachers Discussion -- Dianne -- 2007-01-16
Sounds fishy - Teachers Discussion -- Brian -- 2007-01-26
Re: Sounds fishy - Teachers Discussion -- Robert -- 2008-11-30
Re: Sounds fishy - Teachers Discussion -- satisfied -- 2008-12-01
Fishy, yes, but salmon fishy or grouper fishy? - Teachers Discussion -- Bryan -- 2007-01-29
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: NETWORK ESL/chinaeslnet - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -