TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: What's reaonable and unreasonable to ask of a school?
druther not say - 2009-01-13
In response to What's reaonable and unreasonable to ask of a school? (Not surprised anymore)

You're preaching to the choir with this one. You are definitely not being unreasonable. I'm of the opinion that these schools in China should be so incredibly thankful to have a decent, QUALIFIED FT that doing little things like laying out a few hundred yuan for the internet and phone would be no problem. Instead they plead poverty. My one experience working at a public uni here was not a good one. At least five of the FT's there either lacked REAL degrees or were non-native speakers willing to put up with anything so when I, as a fully qualified native speaker with a real degree and teaching experience at home, asked for anything I was deemed a troublemaker and asked to leave. I know this will cause an uproar here but I blame all the unqualified FT's here for a lot of the problems in the entire ESL "industry" in China. If you ask, "Who would put up with all this for 5000RMB a month?" the answer is, "Someone with either fake or nonexistent credentials terrified of being discovered." To me the issue isn't "A degree doesn't necessarily make you a better teacher" or "Native speakers aren't necessarily better teachers." Those issues have already been debated here ad nauseam. The issue is, like it or not, it's the LAW. If the unqualified teachers would go home and if China would really enforce its own laws the schools here would be be forced to treat the truly qualified FT's with a bit more respect. I was quite naive in thinking public universities either couldn't or wouldn't hire less than qualified people but I was sadly mistaken. They're cheaper, for starters, and are usually less demanding and "unreasonable." Wait a few more weeks...schools will begin to panic as they see a new term starting and vacancies still not filled. It also wouldn't hurt to look at other areas of the country. From what I've read here Wuhan is pretty popular with foreigners and it might be easier for schools there to fill positions. Try Nanchang, for example. I'm still getting offers from universities there even though I'm not even looking anymore.

One more thing: Not sure what country you're from but, unlike in my home country, there is no "flat fee" for local calls here. One pays for every call no matter to where. That's why schools won't agree to pay for "local calls."

Messages In This Thread
What's reaonable and unreasonable to ask of a school? -- Not surprised anymore -- 2009-01-13
Re: What's reaonable and unreasonable to ask of a school? -- doesitmatter -- 2009-01-13
Re: What's reaonable and unreasonable to ask of a school? -- The Enlightened One -- 2009-01-13
Re: What's reaonable and unreasonable to ask of a school? -- druther not say -- 2009-01-13
Re: What's reaonable and unreasonable to ask of a school? -- doesitmatter -- 2009-01-14
Re: What's reaonable and unreasonable to ask of a school? -- druther not say -- 2009-01-14
Re: What's reaonable and unreasonable to ask of a school? -- doesitmatter -- 2009-01-14
Re: What's reaonable and unreasonable to ask of a school? -- Not surprised anymore -- 2009-01-14
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: What's reaonable and unreasonable to ask of a school?

Go to another board -