TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Institutional Sex Offenses - Teachers Discussion
Jerome - 2009-04-05

Well, you do say it like you see it, Silverboy. That's a compliment, by the way. Also, it's interesting for me to note that you actually agree with past posts whose writers assert that there are too many FTs in China that have agendas which have nothing to do with teaching and that they, therefore, take little to no interest in the betterment of their students - or themselves for that matter. Actually, I believe it was you who implied or outright stated that one holding such a view was should also examine their own belief in altruism.

Putting that aside, though, I think we agree that inappropriate behavior by FTs is on the rise in China. I think it would be difficult for any of us to believe that there will not ultimately be a stricter screening process in the near future before allowing would be FTs into China.

I think the result of that would not be just positive for China as a whole, but that it would also go along way toward solving the many problems that plague the whole EFL scene in China. Another side benefit would be that wages would go up for FTs because schools wouldn't be able to hire anyone that did not already have a proven track record of professionalism. Maybe that professional background needn't be in education per se; however, there obviously needs to be less indiscriminate hiring of foreigners. Conversely, highly trained and professional educators would be drawn here as the result of the higher salaries; thereby improving the quality of education.

Yeah, sounds easy at first blush. However, there is the problem of the "old guard." I guess that's how it is in all societies though. Before change can really be initialized you have to wait until the old boy network collapses under its own weight or succumbs to the will of the people.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Institutional Sex Offenses - Teachers Discussion -- Jerome -- 2009-04-05
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Institutional Sex Offenses - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -