TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: china age limit
stillkickin' - 2009-05-08
In response to china age limit (doctorg)

The truth, as I understand it, is that there is a an age restriction; however, like most laws/rules/regulations in China, said restriction can be ignored or viewed as a suggestion by the FAO and PSB if they feel like it or if the school can convince them that their needs can't otherwise be met.

I've been here nearly six years now and so far haven't had any problems finding a job. In fact, I'm nearly 63 and I've already secured a new job at a 1st tier public college for the coming school year. My advice, then, is to keep looking. But, as usual, be careful; that is, don't let desperation cloud your discernment to the point that you get taken in by the charlatans.

It is interesting, though, that such restrictions do exist. After all, there's a lot to be said for experience. Granted, it is wise for them to have some concerns about hiring those of us who are well past our prime in terms of health factors. Hell, I have concerns myself. I'll probably call it quits after another year simply because I don't view this as a healthy environment. Respiratory ailments are on the rise in China and for all their fine talk I still see little in the way of improvement in the environment over all. Of course the older we get the more susceptible and at risk we are in terms of medical problems that result from environmental degradation. In addition, I've seen little improvement in terms of hygiene either. One would have thought that after SARS there would have been a huge public awareness campaign regarding safe hygienic practices; unfortunately, that just hasn't happened. If swine flu does make it here, it will be a predictable nightmare.

Nevertheless, good luck, "young man." We've still got a few good years left in us, eh?

Messages In This Thread
china age limit -- doctorg -- 2009-05-08
Re: china age limit -- Jay Gee -- 2009-05-14
Re: china age limit -- Very Old China Hand -- 2009-05-16
Re: china age limit -- stillkickin' -- 2009-05-15
Re: china age limit -- Jay Gee -- 2009-05-16
Re: china age limit -- stillkickin' -- 2009-05-16
Re: china age limit -- Turino -- 2009-05-16
Re: china age limit -- Jay Gee -- 2009-05-17
Re: china age limit -- Turino -- 2009-05-17
Re: china age limit -- Jay Gee -- 2009-05-16
Re: china age limit -- stillkickin' -- 2009-05-08