TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: New English Teacher in China
doesitmatter - 2009-06-28
In response to New English Teacher in China (Japanda)

You would be selling yourself short if you work for anything less than 6,000, regardless of where you're teaching or at what kind of school you're teaching. I've worked here for six years and have never accepted less that 6,000 and have worked for a lot more than that. Everything is negotiable. I was once offered a laughable 3,500. I worked them up to 6,000 plus bonuses, but ultimately turned down the job simply because I felt insulted by their initial offer. Nevertheless, that's a common practice; that is, they'll offer you a low salary with the realization that you won't accept it, but they hope your counter offer won't be much higher than the original. They consider this quite clever on their part.

There are many business schools in China these days. A lot of them are private colleges. Some are "attached" to universities. That is, they have a relationship with the university but cannot legitimately claim to be a part of the university. With your experience, you may find it quite easy to get a job with one of them. If you choose to work for at a private college, be aware, though, that they can afford to pay you far more than their initial offer might indicate. They'll try to tell you they have a set pay scale, but that's not true. It's totally arbitrary.

If you're choosing to live in one of the more prosperous cities like Shanghai, Beijing, Dalian, Hangzhou and others, you should expect a salary that takes into account the cost of living there. Even the above mentioned 6,000 is way too low for such areas. Unless of course you only have to work 12 hours or less a week, in which case you could take on another part time job.

Be careful about the part time job concept, though. In some places this is not allowed and the rule against it is strictly enforced. A teacher at the college where I'm currently employed was fired a month ago for moonlighting. Had he not been fired, the PSB (Public Security Bureau) would have fined the college heavily for allowing him to continue. Some PSBs will force you out of the country if you violate this particular rule.

Your visa question is an interesting one and I'm afraid you'll get lots of varying opinions on that one. Provincial authorities interpret the rules differently. If you look back through the archives here, you'll find a discussion about how laws regarding FTs in China are viewed as guidelines that can be interpreted however the local authorities see fit. It used to be that one could easily convert an L visa or F visa to a Z visa, but, again, it's hard to predict how the locals will deal with that. Nevertheless, if you're not convinced you want to give teaching a try here, I would, if I were you, come on a tourist visa and check things out. I would say that, generally speaking, should you decide to stay, it won't be that difficult to make the conversion. Do be aware, however, that the visa situation is going to be a little crazy again (it was nuts during the Olympics) pretty soon because of the 60th anniversary celebration.

Good luck.

Messages In This Thread
New English Teacher in China -- Japanda -- 2009-06-27
Re: New English Teacher in China -- doesitmatter -- 2009-06-28
Re: New English Teacher in China -- Turino -- 2009-06-27
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: New English Teacher in China

Go to another board -