TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Theory on the Division of Expats in China
HireEd - 2009-07-19

"Reason and thoughtfulness are seldom heard here. And, never permitted to thrive." -- Wu Yulu is My Dad

Yes, once again Silverboy and DPP offer some very enlightening, informative, reasonable and thoughtful comments. Thanks, guys, and thanks for pointing out that fact, Son of Wu Yulu (and obvious fan of "Auntie Mame")

The OP's theory regarding FTs craving attention is an interesting one. In my experience, that was the last thing on my mind as I prepared for life in China. As I landed in a mid-sized city in Jiangsu province initially, where precious few foreigners were found at the time (things have changed), I was amazed by my instant, near-celebrity (I prefer to call it "zoo animal") status. In that location, all the attention and freakish curiosity was anything but attractive or desireable. Each and every time I went shopping at the one and only large supermarket in the center of the city, local, older female shoppers would dig into my shopping cart, removing, examining and discussing the items I had chosen -- right in front of me, as if I was invisible.

I would try taking a stoll along the main road in front of the college where I taught, and taxi drivers would constantly follow along side of me, at my walking pace, trying to lure me into their cabs. The persisitent level of public attention was insane and sufficating. I got outta that place with three months' time, as I could no longer "breathe," or have anything resembling a normal life outside of campus.

I continued on to a much larger city, where expats were still a bit unique and received a fair number of stares and aggressive "Hello!s," but nothing compared to the first place I lived. However, the one-on-one attnetion I received from young women especially was a bit startling (I was much older than most of my fellow FTs -- and not particularly handsome). As I had come to China expressly for the purpose of teaching, not romance or nightlife (no judgment toward others intended), I came to think of my students more as my "children, nieces, nephews" rather than potential lovers or spouses, or bar buddies.

The attention can be intoxicating, because as has been pointed out by the OP, Silverboy, and DPP, most expats have previously not been the recipients of such attention and certianly never encountered anything like it back home. There we were so NOY "special."

I had to constantly keep my emotions and ego in check, and remind myself that it had little to do with ME, but rather with my being physically and perhaps psychologically "different," and of course the most ingrained cliche of all -- the fact that I am American and caucasian means, ta da! -- I am "rich!" as I would constantly hear (and laugh about) Oy.

I've seen this unwarranted level of attention bring out the worst in a few expats, but in my opinion, many FTs do not necessarily come to China seeking that, but instead are overwhelmed and mentally/egotically seduced by it after they arrive. If one is young, and indeed handsome (or beautiful) I can only imagine how tough it must be not to misinterpret and/or abuse and exploit the silly, celebrity-like status.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Theory on the Division of Expats in China -- HireEd -- 2009-07-19
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Theory on the Division of Expats in China

Go to another board -