TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Refusal of jobs to blacks in China
Migrant Worker - 2009-07-25
In response to Refusal of jobs to blacks in China (FESTUS)

I agree with you (being a white Canadian) that blacks are certainly treated and have less opportunities in China, but at all of the schools I have worked at they have usually had one to two black teachers. I didn't notice an overall negative attitude towards them, nor do I believe that blacks do not mingle with locals. In my experience they mingle exceedingly well, and usually pick up Chinese much faster than people of other racial groups.

In some of my experience, they have been the nicest people I have come across. In other cases, they were quite rude, and were pretty much in China for their own corrupt desires. Of course, this does not differ from any other race, people are people.

I was blessed to grow up in Canada with black friends, Asian friends, middle-eastern friends and I see people without color. China just hasn't had the amount of exposure it needs to gain true knowledge on how people from other countries work.

You must be patient, they will learn. And trust me friend, they try to rip us off just as quickly as they will try to rip off any foreigner.

I hear the word "wai guo ren" or "lao wai" most commonly used. And as you may know, that means ANYONE who isn't from China. So as I see it, if they want to separate themselves from the world, with this sort of uneducated mentality, then we shouldn't bark at each other and instead united... because we are all "wai guo ren" after all.

Messages In This Thread
Refusal of jobs to blacks in China -- FESTUS -- 2009-07-25
Re: Refusal of jobs to blacks in China -- HireEd -- 2009-07-25
Re: Refusal of jobs to left handed blacks in China -- Li Bai -- 2009-07-27
Re: Refusal of jobs to blacks in China -- Migrant Worker -- 2009-07-25
Re: Refusal of jobs to blacks in China -- david -- 2009-08-04
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Refusal of jobs to blacks in China

Go to another board -