TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Refusal of jobs to blacks in China
HireEd - 2009-07-25
In response to Refusal of jobs to blacks in China (FESTUS)

FESTUS writes:

I'm very happy that parents are now questioning the quality of services offered by foreign teachers in the major cities in China now.

Yes, this is perhaps a good thing (also, perhaps not). Anyway, I don't disagree with much of what you assert; however, keep in mind that parents of students also made a major contribution (perhaps the most significant one) to the very hardcore discrimatory employment practices that you describe. It is the Chinese customer that drives this racism every bit as much as the employer, in my opinion.

The reason I say that "parents are now questioning the quality of services offered by foreign teacher" is not necessarily a good thing, is because from what I witnessed during my time in ESL China (2003-2008) most parents have no real ability to accurately and fairly assess the abilities, qualifications, and performance of most foreign teachers -- as a great majority of Chinese parents don't speak English.

Again, I don't disagree with your overall assertion, FESTUS, but I certainly don't think the "questioning of services" by parents will bring about any signifcant change toward improving the general bias against blacks found in ESL hiring practice.

Messages In This Thread
Refusal of jobs to blacks in China -- FESTUS -- 2009-07-25
Re: Refusal of jobs to blacks in China -- HireEd -- 2009-07-25
Re: Refusal of jobs to left handed blacks in China -- Li Bai -- 2009-07-27
Re: Refusal of jobs to blacks in China -- Migrant Worker -- 2009-07-25
Re: Refusal of jobs to blacks in China -- david -- 2009-08-04
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Refusal of jobs to blacks in China

Go to another board -