TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: So you want to teach?
Turino - 2010-01-02

So I have been thinking about what it means to work in China.

First of all,welcome back,cunning linguist!Now to your very interesting statement quoted above - as I see it,the meaning of "what it means" can be as diverse as China itself.I believe it's most important for budding FT's to identify in advance what kind of pressures they might well face from their students and colleagues,both Chinese and fellow foreigners,before signing up somewhere.There can be a world of difference between the students and the teaching staff at one educational establishment from those at another.Bear in mind that not every FT is here to immerse himself (or herself) in a Western rat-race type of work environment nor to compete with his (or her) foreign colleagues in the teaching or the popularity stakes.The Chinese can be very picky,as can be seen whenever they go shopping - they'll inspect everything before buying anything,even bruising fruit in the process!Moreover,they'll often look for invalid excuses to avoid taking responsibility for their own failings.If you upset one of your Chinese colleagues,even if you are in the right, the whole lot will gang up against you,and you'll likely be ostracised!One of the most negative aspects of ropey Chinese Group culture,as it were! Of course,you've also got foreign grovelling weasels in the mix,most of whom are self-serving products of the capitalist West!

Personally,I needn't teach here - I could teach back home as I'm qualified to do so!If I wanted to enter a staffroom of backbiting teachers,I could teach back home.Fact is,I'm here in China to avoid that kind of situation,and all the unpleasantness it can entail.And you can find lots of easy numbers here as opposed to work where you'll be constantly assessed and put under the microscope,if you're not after high salaries.I think it's most important to identify the kind of person your immediate Chinese boss is, ie your head of department.Some of them are two-faced snobs that will stab you in the back at every opportunity.Identifying them in advance is far more important for your future piece of mind and job security here than worrying about how dirty the city or town you'll be working in will be,or if your flat has a microwave and/or an upright toilet,or if you can get 5000 a month or 7000 a month!

Messages In This Thread
Re: So you want to teach? -- Turino -- 2010-01-02
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: So you want to teach?

Go to another board -