TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Getting work without an official TEFL certificate
Tom - 2010-02-26

Hi everybody,

Let me first say that although I hold no official TEFL certificate, I have taken the TEFL Worldwide study course about a year ago and I still have the knowledge it takes to be an ESL teacher. I took the course in the Czech Republic. I did not successfully pass the course, however I remember the instructor saying its still possible to get work, as he had given me a certificate saying I learned all the lessons in his class. I tried to find work in Europe for a while. However the EU has some visitor laws that require all visitors to stay only 90 days unless you have a work visa. I never got my work visa within my time in Europe. This law was passed while I was in Europe too.
While I was in Europe, I contemplated whether or not I truly wanted to do teaching English. I could not decide if this was for me since I struggled so much in the TEFL course. I enjoyed teaching when my lessons were successful, but when they were not successful it was sure frustrating. I guess I had a quarter life crisis and thought of all the possibilities of alternative careers. Because my time in the EU was running out, I decided to go traveling independently in eastern and central Europe. I had fun but it probably was not the best idea.

Any of you gotten a job without a TEFL certificate? How do you go about it?

Messages In This Thread
Getting work without an official TEFL certificate -- Tom -- 2010-02-26
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Getting work without an official TEFL certificate

Go to another board -