TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: First Day Of School
val - 2010-03-04
In response to First Day Of School (Yukon)

• Make it as fun as possible, get them to participate as much as possible. But some kids just don't pay attention no matter what.
  • Give small favors and candies to keep their attention.
  • Find out what they all enjoy doing then incorporate what they enjoy into what you are trying to teach, this always worked for my kids.
  • Think about what you are good at. You'll have an easier time if you are teaching something you know how to do but most other people don't.
    You also might have an easier time if you bring in lots of props to demonstrate. When you see them, it will remind you of what you need to say next. Also, it will make your points clearer if you demonstrate as you talk.
    Make sure you have an intro. Tell people what you'll be talking about. Then go through step by step. At the end, give a sentence or two reviewing what you talked about.
    Practice (talking and using the props) before you present. Get some family or friends to watch you. Make them sit down, and stand in front of them. It might seem awkward, but it will make it easier when you actually present. Also, make sure they time you so you can see how you are doing with that.
    I used to teach public speaking.
  • Messages In This Thread
    First Day Of School -- Yukon -- 2010-03-01
    Re: First Day Of School - shy students -- friz -- 2010-03-04
    Re: First Day Of School - shy students -- Turino -- 2010-03-05
    Re: First Day Of School -- val -- 2010-03-04
    Re: First Day Of School -- englishgibson -- 2010-03-05
    Re: First Day Of School -- tr -- 2010-03-04
    Re: First Day Of School -- I'm a teacher! -- 2010-03-04
    View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: First Day Of School

Go to another board -