TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: First Day Of School - shy students
Turino - 2010-03-05

Shy students will be less shy with Chinese teachers of English than with foreign ones when it comes to speaking English,agreed? Maybe you should ask yourself why you are here(in China):
To aid and abet Chinese education providers cheat their fellow Chinese on account of your foreign looks,at the expense of excusing your students' Chinese English and taking advantage of their naivity by playing games?Group satisfaction,eh? (I'd have thought that REAL foreign teachers come here to HONE Chinese students' English,but maybe I'm wrong!
Playing games with students,in my experience,is monkeying around, and cannot motivate the dull,certainly not sth I want to be part of!
Call me old-fashioned if you like,but I know that good grammar + intelligence + motivation makes the more accomplished speakers of English - after all, your students are EFL learners,and need a good foundation in grammar,something that cannot come naturally to them,unlike to native speakers.
It's worth mentioning that in spite of the perceived negatives of the Chinese education system,it still produces students who can speak excellent English!I thought they'd been abroad,but they hadn't;their Chinese teachers of English gave them a wide berth,so as not to be looked down upon. And those same students didn't appreciate foreigners coming here and then wasting their time on games!

Messages In This Thread
First Day Of School -- Yukon -- 2010-03-01
Re: First Day Of School - shy students -- friz -- 2010-03-04
Re: First Day Of School - shy students -- Turino -- 2010-03-05
Re: First Day Of School -- val -- 2010-03-04
Re: First Day Of School -- englishgibson -- 2010-03-05
Re: First Day Of School -- tr -- 2010-03-04
Re: First Day Of School -- I'm a teacher! -- 2010-03-04
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: First Day Of School - shy students

Go to another board -