TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Wuhans gone crazy
Foxy - 2010-03-18
In response to Wuhans gone crazy (Frustrated)

It's good that you have posted about how the PSB in Wuhan conducts its business. We can get a flavor of what can happen to foreigners at a PSB by reading your post. I can't say I'm surprised by the awful way you have been treated there. Now I'll tell you why:
Recently, I was at a PSB to renew my spousal visa. The time before that I had applied for a one-year L visa there, but was told I'd have to take a medical before I could get it, but that I could get a six month L without a medical if I liked. I opted for the latter. But the last time I went there to renew again, a young Chinese man and the PSB clerkess started shouting and bawling. Other PSB staff, also in police uniform, went to the other side of the counter, to try to calm the man down. Just then, I was told I'd need a medical to get a six month L. I became angry and gave said clerkess the thumbs down, saying 'no way'. Then my wife, who was also acting as my agent, started quarrelling with said clerkess, who criticised me for my attitude! While my wife managed to persuade her to phone her director to check on the visa regulations, the young Chinese man told me the clerkess had spoken to his mother like she was lowlife. He wanted me to accompany him to her director to complain about her. But my wife advised me not to do that, as, unlike the young man, I'd have to continue to visit said PSB for spousal visas, unobtainable in all other PSB offices, which were not located in my wife's hometown, as that visa office was! The director told the clerkess I could get the six month spousal L without a medical. The clerkess also said to my wife that she couldn't care less if complaints were lodged against her, as her job was boring, and in the event of complaints from visa applicants, she would be able to get transfered to a less boring job involving the checking of much less paperwork. My wife told her she was lucky to have such a sinecure, as she was often idle, as the city was not visited by too many foreigners, and that she got a good wage,and that many Chinese would love to have a job like hers. The young Chinese man left with his mother for the director's office in order to complain. Later, my wife told me he had said earlier in Chinese that the foreigner,namely me, will look down on you all for the way you conduct business and quarrel in public, and that he had never witnessed that kind of thing while he was abroad!
As for complaining to your country's consul in Beijing,you needn't bother. They can do nothing to help you. But they could treat Chinese visa applicants badly if they wished to do so. They won't do that!

Messages In This Thread
Wuhans gone crazy -- Frustrated -- 2010-03-17
Re: Wuhans gone crazy -- Smitty -- 2010-03-18
Re: Wuhans gone crazy -- Weasel -- 2010-03-18
Re: Wuhans gone crazy -- Smitty -- 2010-03-21
Re: Wuhans gone crazy -- Weasel -- 2010-03-21
Re: Wuhans gone crazy -- Foxy -- 2010-03-18
Re: Wuhans gone crazy -- Turino -- 2010-03-17
Re: Wuhans gone crazy -- Frustrated -- 2010-03-17
Re: Wuhans gone crazy -- A D -- 2010-03-18
Re: Wuhans gone crazy -- Turino -- 2010-03-18
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Wuhans gone crazy