TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Plagiarism in China is one of their traditions!
Oswald Sinclair - 2010-04-12

No, I can't follow you, English Teacher!
Have you ever been in a position to supervise and evaluate a Master or a Doctoral thesis? What would you do if you found out and could prove that your dear graduate student committed a big cheat by plagiarising and did not properly reference all quotes he may have taken from another text?

But I can follow you, Turnoi.

Those of us who have the serious responsibility of judging the thesis of a master's or a PhD postgraduate student have no choice but to advise rejection of such an award if the thesis is found to include plagiarised material. Simple as that - sympathy is totally irrelevant, and also an unnecessary sentiment.
I guess some foreign teachers of English in China are prone to sympathising with their overworked Chinese colleagues who have plagiarised for profit. Foreign teachers like that are generally only teachers of spoken English rather than of written English, and post with Chinese usernames. They really want to become Chinese very much. Personally, I wouldn't, given the deceitful things like plagiarisation far too many of my Chinese colleagues will do without so much as a second thought first!

Messages In This Thread
Re: Plagiarism in China is one of their traditions! -- Oswald Sinclair -- 2010-04-12
Re: Plagiarism in China is one of their traditions! -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2010-04-13
Re: Plagiarism in China is one of their traditions! -- The Skilled One -- 2010-04-13
Re: Plagiarism in China is one of their traditions! -- Oswald Sinclair -- 2010-04-13
Re: Plagiarism in China is one of their traditions! -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2010-04-13
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Plagiarism in China is one of their traditions!

Go to another board -