TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: dress code
sandalman - 2010-04-27
In response to Re: dress code (Andrew)

"Too many foreign teachers here are not real teachers. That's why they don't know how to dress and behave as real teachers do."

True enough, Andrew; however, I think we can all agree that the issue of FTs here not being real teachers is less of an issue than it may be in other countries. After all, most schools here aren't really interested in whether or not their English speaking teachers are credentialed; moreover, I think it could be said that in a vast number of cases they would prefer that their FTs not be especially experienced. I've noticed that those who aren't actually qualified or experienced quickly learn that if they keep their heads down and just plod their way through their classes, they will likely be assured of job security. On the other hand, those with training and experience are more apt to notice the deficits of this education system and are therefore more likely to earn the wrath of the administrators by speaking out against those deficits.

Nevertheless, I doubt that the fact that some teachers aren't "real teachers" has much to do with their personal choices in terms of how they dress. Let's face it, some people just have a more relaxed attitude about such things. In addition, I've known a few teachers that you would apparently consider slovenly that are actually pretty good at what they do. Simply stated, then, clothes don't always make the man in this context.

Now, personally, maybe because I'm a little older than most FTs here, I do give a bit of a hoot about how I am perceived by the Chinese staff. I endeavor to dress and act like a gentleman, but that's a personal choice. Actually, I've even had some of my male students over the years comment that they would appreciate it if I would give them some tips on how to be a gentlemen. However, those same students haven't any problems with the younger teachers who sometimes look like they could do with an extreme makeover. Maybe it could be said that they're far less picky about such things than you are.

Try this: Wear a suit and a pair of sandals. You might be surprised at how liberating it can feel.

Messages In This Thread
dress code -- Styleman -- 2010-04-24
Re: dress code -- Rin -- 2010-05-03
Re: dress code -- Turino -- 2010-04-28
Re: dress code -- sandalman -- 2010-04-28
Re: dress code -- sandalman -- 2010-04-27
Re: dress code -- hobo -- 2010-04-25
Re: dress code -- Bum -- 2010-04-25
Re: dress code -- Andrew -- 2010-04-25
Re: dress code -- sandalman -- 2010-04-27
Re: dress code -- Andrew -- 2010-04-27
Re: dress code -- Duckling -- 2010-04-27