TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Who won't PT schools pay by the week?
Reconciled - 2010-05-14

Can someone tell me why schools that only want to employ you part time, a few hours a week, are now insisting on only paying you monthly, like they do they're full time, contracted teachers?

I was recently talking to a school that's desperate for teachers. It's only 4 hours a week of work, no contract, no guarantees, nothing offered but hourly pay. Now, if it is this kind of job, and it is only paying by the hour, should it not pay by the hour? Meaning, when the job is done, you get paid? I mean, you have no apartment, no contract, nothing to assure you that you will get paid. There is just no investment in you as a teacher, no legal requirement on their part to pay you, or even prove you work for them. Hence, at the end of said month, they could simply decide to not pay you. Perhaps they found a contracted full time replacement, or someone who will do it cheaper. Who knows, the point is, hourly part time pay should and has in the past been paid hourly, not monthly like a contracted full time teacher.

Now I am noticing, schools are insisting you be paid monthly for PT work, and if you won't accept this, they won't get back to you or hire you, not matter how desperate they are. Can anyone explain this to me? Someone told me once it was all about accounting, but I don't buy that. If you need a teacher and have none, you're losing money, hence, you would pay them however they like, especially when it's perfectly reasonable. You won't lose money because you don't want some extra accounting duties. Can someone explain this to me? Has anyone who works part time on the side experienced this same issue, and have any of you had a situation arise where you "didn't" get paid after a month of PT work? It seems to me a very stupid stand to make in regards to paying teachers. I mean really, I've been here for many years, and it used to be common to get paid weekly since it was PT work and hence not legit. Why would a school think this is OK or acceptable, considering those facts?

Now I see almost no schools willing to pay people weekly if they want to employ you part time. Is it just me, or is this kind of expectation on a schools part, (That foreigners work at illegal jobs PT yet trust the school to take care of them) that's just plain ridicules?

Messages In This Thread
Who won't PT schools pay by the week? -- Reconciled -- 2010-05-14
Re: Who won't PT schools pay by the week? -- Turino -- 2010-05-14
Re: Who won't PT schools pay by the week? -- Floored -- 2010-05-14
Re: Who won't PT schools pay by the week? -- wilson -- 2010-05-14
Re: Who won't PT schools pay by the week? -- Reconciled -- 2010-05-14
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Who won't PT schools pay by the week?

Go to another board -