TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: GAC-ACT SCAM - what a crap system!
englishgibson - 2010-05-20

Turnoi, parents in China assume the local schools and their teachers must prepare their kids and that if these kids are talented/skillful and/or good or bad at whatever they are enrolled in. Anotherwords, it's the schools/teachers responsibility if a kid fails on mainland and the honest local teachers often take the fall for their brave decisions when they dare to fail some of their poor students. Then, from Chinese higher education most or all the youngsters graduate no matter how good or bad they are at whatever they've studied. Once Chinese parents pay and want what they want from the local educators, it's like a guarantee that their kids will go on in their life doing whatever they or their parents have decided for them to do. But I bet you know that well enough yourself.

The American higher education is greatly desperate to survive as many schools depend on students enrollment and as of recent foreign students enrollment due to the local market slowdown. Unarguably China is a rather large market and the local education has a hard time coping with the country's fast development and the demand for s better quality. The GAC-ACT has been a perfect "silent" choice for both countries. This fraud and the facilitating bogus centers around the country to ship these unqualified local high school dropouts to the western higher educational insitutions is not supposed to hurt the western higher education. These local high school dropouts are to return back to their homeland after they graduate abroad and that has originally been the plan, at least on the paper. Too bad the Chinese paper is so thin it disolves into the rotten potatoes so quickly.

The recent story of a young American Harvard student, that's cheated his way to get in, has caught my eye. He's even got some financial assistance..just like a few of my Chinese students, the applicants to top 100 US unis. This kid would probably have not got caught if his parents didn't insist on honesty.

Adam Wheeler's parents insisted he come clean about his lies.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/new-details-on-harvard-hoax-19910219

Now, would Chinese partents be so insistant is a question that buggles my mind after a few years on mainland. Moreover, would the well known ACT company be so insistant is yet another question. The company's mainland pitcher, Todd Andrews, wouldn't want a pay cut, would he?

Cheers and beers to the broken laundry machine called American higher education

Messages In This Thread
Re: GAC-ACT SCAM - what a crap system! -- englishgibson -- 2010-05-20
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: GAC-ACT SCAM - what a crap system!

Go to another board -