TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Reading comprehension software
Ly Trinh - 2010-05-20

Hello all,

I am a ESL teacher in the San Francisco bay area. I am teaching a TOEFL ibt preparation class and have some concerns. I wish that I can get your help.

Specifically, reading comprehension is a hard area for my students because of the extensive amount of vocabulary that they have to struggle with each time they face a new TOEFL ibt text. Therefore, I want to slow down the process by having students read easy texts first ( for example: texts with the first 1000 frequency words and then texts with 2000 frequency words......). In order to do this, I have 2 following problems:

1) I have reading books that focus on the first 1000 frequency words or 2000 frequency words. However, they are mostly short stories, which are not the kind of texts appear on the TOEFL ibt test. Do you know of any books or any source that have TOEFL ibt- like- texts but start firstly with the 1000 frequency words and then 2000 frequency words? I want my students to slowly absorb TOEFL ibt words.

2) Do you know of any reading software or website that are helpful for the reading comprehension section of the TOEFL ibt test?

Thank you all!

Ly Trinh

Messages In This Thread
Reading comprehension software -- Ly Trinh -- 2010-05-20
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Reading comprehension software

Go to another board -