TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Lesson Plans!
Justin - 2010-05-25
In response to Lesson Plans! (Stacy)

Hi Stacy,

I'm also a young teacher, 23, and know how you feel. Trust me though, it gets easier. Right now you are nervous because you are doubting your ability to connect with the students, but its fine. Honestly most schools just want to show off their foreigner so don't count on them watching over your shoulder. Not that this means you shouldn't take your job seriously though.

Do you have a text book you teach from? Its probably garbage like mine was, but it can be used as a general outline of what to discuss in your classes.

Try to play games with them, it will help them open up to you. Chinese kids love to sing, as do their parents. teach them a melody. My fourth graders loved singing the songs at the end of their chapters, even if they really lame like;

"Blue bird, blue bird, out my window. Blue bird, blue bird, out my window. Fly to the sky blue bird."

It gets them to participate and enjoy the class. You should get into it too, make motions and smile.

Another game I used to play with the young kids was a game where they would raise their hands in accordance of what I said. For instance I would say "boys" and all the boys raise their hands. Other words were, "students, teachers, girls, left, right..." Try to trick them by motioning you raising your hand when you say boys and they will all laugh together. It can become a competition. Since your doing Middle School, maybe something like Simon Says would work too.

Messages In This Thread
Lesson Plans! -- Stacy -- 2010-05-23
Re: Lesson Plans! -- Justin -- 2010-05-25
Re: Lesson Plans! -- Johnson -- 2010-06-10
Re: Lesson Plans! -- Lola -- 2010-05-23
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Lesson Plans!

Go to another board -