TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Re Omeida Language College in Yangshuo
Nick Pellatt - 2010-06-23

I admit I apply for positions on a different basis to many FT's, so my reasons for choosing an employer, and my likes/dislikes may be quite different to other FT's.

I know you are likely to disagree with me on this point LOL, but the actual teaching is one of my first priorities! I didn't/dont want to work with large classes, kindy, or kids and teenagers in general. This is especially so for China ... Im far more open to teaching teenagers and kids in other countries though. I also wanted more contact time with my classes rather than the once a week thing I had in Middle School and College before.

On that basis training centres are probably always going to be a better bet for me. I find small groups of students easier to engage, manage and I can concentrate on my TL/Pronunciation etc much easier in the environment of a small class. I found large classes in a college setting became far too teacher centred, although I would admit that is perhaps my fault. I dont know...I dont want classes of more than 15 students though....30 or 40+? No thanks.

So adult classes of up to 11 students suited me. In practice, I think typical class sizes were around 6 students, which was even better.

The second motivating factor for me is location. My UK address is Eastbourne, a small coastal, tourist town with a pretty good climate. Well, as good as any in the UK at least! This is perhaps why I wouldnt really consider a city, and especially a Northern city which could be far too cold for me. An ideal China job for me is in a town that I can walk from end to end in. Yangshuo fits the bill there, and due to its popularity as a tourist destination ... its also quite 'foreigner friendly' with lots of English speakers, and the bars and restaurants that are normally associated with bigger cities. Its probably quite unique for China in that respect.

I was also lucky as a previous workmate of mine went to work at Omeida, and he gave me the low down on the place long before I went there. Obviously from his experience, he knew Omeida, and knowing me as well as he does, he thought it would be a good match. I was fortunate that it was!

Salary and long holidays are rarely a consideration for me in choosing a job incidentally...I think lots of people prefer Uni jobs for these reasons. Not that I have money or other sources of income BTW!

As I had already mentioned, professional development is important to me, and my next goal in terms of qualifications is to gain a DELTA. Im pretty sure it would be hard to gain one whilst in China, but working in a training centre with small classes of adult students is more akin to DELTA type teaching than Uni work would be (I think???).

I think we are on opposite ends of the teaching scale in terms of preferences etc. I think a Uni job might possibly offer everything I dont want from the actual teaching, where I am sure a training centre holds a similar amount of appeal for you! Each to their own I guess :)

Regards

NP

Messages In This Thread
Re: Re Omeida Language College in Yangshuo -- Nick Pellatt -- 2010-06-23
Re: Re Omeida Language College in Yangshuo -- englishgibson -- 2010-06-24
Re: Re Omeida Language College in Yangshuo -- Nick Pellatt -- 2010-06-24
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Re Omeida Language College in Yangshuo

Go to another board -