TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Foreigners: the good, the bad, and the ugly - ESL discussion
Mic - 2005-03-28

I think the Korean people are right. I think there are many foreigners who teach overseas for the wrong reasons. Many of them are young graduates who come to enjoy an easy life and live in immoral decadence while overseas. Some of them are older men who want to try and live life again like when they were younger. There are a few foreigners who come for the right reasons such as they are interested in Buddhism or Korean history. There are some who are TRUE ex-patriots who denounce the West and the immoral corporate capitalist ways of Western countries.

English language schools have become a corrupt business in many Asian countries, with both illigitimate employers and employees.

It is important for Korean people to protect their homeland from the "poisons" of the West. But, it is also important that the Korean people not become too "closed" like their brothers and sisters in the North (DPRK).

I think the following can be done to ensure problems like this do not occur in the future:

1. Stricter screening of work-visas for foreigners including a negative HIV blood test in order to be issued a work visa.
2. A standard question-survey or screening done by local police when the foreigner settles into residence overseas after one month.
3. Stricter laws and government control forcing all English Schools to have an employment licence in order to hire foreigners.
4. A union for foreign teachers to help foreigners protect themselves from corruption and illegal schools.
5. Require teachers to have a teaching certificate.

Messages In This Thread
English teachers in Korea face wrath of an angry nation - ESL discussion -- Jeff C. -- 2005-03-27
That's what 'Native Speakers' asked for! - ESL discussion -- Chunping Wu -- 2005-03-28
Foreigners: the good, the bad, and the ugly - ESL discussion -- Mic -- 2005-03-28
Are you serious? Police interview? - ESL discussion -- Beatrix -- 2005-04-15
Certificate is one, a qualification is the other. - ESL discussion -- Chunping Wu -- 2005-04-01
Ready to leave? - ESL discussion -- Mike B. -- 2005-03-28
Good teachers are always welcomed . - ESL discussion -- Chunping Wu -- 2005-03-28
I like it.... - ESL discussion -- Mic -- 2005-03-28
Korea easy to live in?? - ESL discussion -- Sarah -- 2005-04-06
Korea, a good place - ESL discussion -- Chris -- 2005-04-13
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Foreigners: the good, the bad, and the ugly - ESL discussion

Go to another board -