TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Leaving in a week...
Justin P. - 2010-08-23

Everyone seems focused on the 700 RMB. That's just to get me to my apartment... I've got around 6900 in my Bank of America account that I can withdraw from any China Construction Bank ATM (which is also the bank the school uses), and if I really need cash my Bank of America account is semi-connected with my parents in that they can directly transfer fund into it (but not vice versa). I will not want for money. Also, Alain, I don't not particularly expect a Western quality of living. If I did, I would have gotten a job in a large city. This is a small, rural town (whose biggest business is Hong Kong businessmen on vacation). The only western things I will want are healthcare/dental (which I can get in Hong Kong, paid for with my 0 deductible international health insurance) and AIR CONDITIONING <--- #1 Everything else, I don't care.

I wear the clothes I wear because I have personal standards. I find the fitted clothes I have are much more comfortable than T-shirts and denim pants. I know the other teachers will not dress the same, I've already been told so by my friends that teach there; it's a personal practice. If you want to look like a vagabond, that's your choice. I also expect to do some interviews as I plan to put my engineering degrees to work as soon as possible to get a better job. In the meantime, teaching English is a good way to get in country and provide a stable living location and overdressing will only help.

I find it strange that people are focusing on the money and clothes... those are the things I worry about least. My biggest concerns are the contract and the visa. I'm also concerned that I don't think any curricula will be provided, simply "go in and talk with them." I would admit, I am probably a bit naive. I've only done a few months of research and I'm accepting a risk on imperfect terms. I can get out if it all goes bad but I really hope it doesn't.

JP

Messages In This Thread
Re: Leaving in a week... -- Justin P. -- 2010-08-23
Re: Leaving in a week... -- al76 -- 2010-08-23
Re: Leaving in a week... -- JP -- 2010-08-24
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Leaving in a week...

Go to another board -