TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Leaving in a week...
meipang - 2010-08-24

JP: You really need to think through what the heck you are doing. China graduates hundreds of thousands of engineers every year and many of THEM are already finding it difficult to get a decent job here. I'm also a rather, uh, "large" guy myself and from the way you describe yourself you are even larger. You are going to be pointed and stared at everywhere you go and most Chinese will assume you are stupid because, well, fat people just are. (I've had more than one Chinese teacher tell me it is widely assumed that fat kids are stupid. ) This is a very tough place to be a fat guy, especially in the South because folks down here tend to be thin bordering on skinny. It seems even the lowest-level English speaker knows the word "fat" and it is tossed about quite freely. I've had tiny little kids ask me right to my face, "Why are you so fat?" Adults will do it as well. You eventually get "used to it" but it is never nice. The heat and humidity are also relentless and "winter" might be a month long if you're lucky. Most schools are NOT air conditioned even if your apartment is. I sweat right through 3, 4 shirts a day at times. If you come, bring deodorant. LOTS of it. The stuff here is awful if you can find it at all. Frankly, you are going to be a target of ridicule walking around in your suits sweating like a horse. Contrary to what you seem to believe it will not earn you respect. If you insist on coming here do yourself a favor and head to the Northeast. It's much, much cooler most of the year and the people are bigger so you won't stand out as much. Try Harbin, for example. When I was there I saw quite few guys who were at least close to my size. (I wear 40 waist pants and at least an XL shirt and usually XXL. I'm 5'9" and about 220 on a good day.)

Just trying to be frank here. Don't hold it against me.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Leaving in a week... -- meipang -- 2010-08-24
Re: Leaving in a week... -- JP -- 2010-08-25
Re: Leaving in a week... -- al76 -- 2010-08-25
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Leaving in a week...

Go to another board -