TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Web International on mainland
englishgibson - 2010-08-27
In response to Re: Web International on mainland (Pascal Scott)

I didn't "randomly" show up. I had interviews at the two locations. From Shapingba (forgive my spelling), I was directed to the second interview in the Web Head Office. Both of these lame interviews were conducted by young females, locals, that didn't know much. At the head office in Jiefangbei (forgive my spelling), one of these females (an HR staff) kept disrupting with Chinese language, when I was giving a demo. A demo student who was a real thing, not an office staff peaking in, confronted the Web staff member. Well, I made it clear at the beginning of my class that no Chinese should be used. Why were you not there? Were you busy? Or, were you on a business trip to another location? In what capacity do you work at Web and where are you really based? Above all, what is your authority, when it comes to recruiting, training and evaluating foreign teachers at Web? Do you get involved in Web students' recruiting and if so then how? And, please for the sake of our forums, let's put our bitterness behind us, shall we?

All interested should know that Web has been trying to sell products that it seemingly does not have any cohesive material of. When I asked for any academic material, I got vague answers, and that they were either using some copies of pages for directions what to teach, or whatever the teachers wished to teach. It really looks like teachers tailor the courses, which would be necessarily bad. However, if a foreign teacher's lesson (s) don't fit the taste of locals, s/he will probably be thrown under the bus. Mind you, the company pushes SATs (American college entry exams), IELTS (language proficiency exams), Business English and who knows what else, or whatever they can make money of. :)

On the end, even if you prove to the local reps of schools/centers that you can do the job, you will most likely be judged by the local standards. Having such jobs on mainland China is just so dangerous as it means that you may get evaluated unfairly, and so lose further opportunities in the country or the reimbursement for return to your homeland.

Cheers and beers to all foreigners on mainland

Messages In This Thread
Web International on mainland -- englishgibson -- 2010-06-18
Re Web International on mainland -- StuckInChina -- 2010-12-27
Re: Web International on mainland -- Pascal Scott -- 2010-08-26
Re: Web International on mainland -- englishgibson -- 2010-09-01
Re: Web International on mainland -- samraimi -- 2010-08-29
Re: Web International on mainland -- englishgibson -- 2010-08-27
Re Web International on mainland -- englishgibson -- 2010-06-22
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Web International on mainland

Go to another board -