TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Arrived here and then questionng
JP - 2010-08-29

Thank you for yet another excellent reply!

I will consider the things you mentioned; possibly even try to get a copy of the book you referenced. I can see how someone can burn out on this and I haven't even tought a single class yet. It's certainly not for everyone. It just seems that some people will say, "That's it, I'm fed up with the bullshit" and you can't see them leave for the dust cloud they kick up. Maybe I will do the same, someday, it's impossible to know. I doubt those people expected they would do that; otherwise they wouldn't have come, right?

The entire time I've been here, I've been waiting for a "holy shit" moment. You know, that moment where you wonder what the hell you were thinking and realize the gravity of what you've done. I haven't had that moment yet. I don't know if that's a good thing. I just do what I need to do. For example, today I wanted to buy a temporary SIM card so I can make some local calls and send text messages to my friend. The guy selling them, he was in a little dirty hut filled with soldering irons, circuit parts, etc., and spoke ZERO English. Somehow, I managed to buy exactly what I wanted even though he initially thought I wanted to sign up for the full account deal. It took almost an hour. I think many people would have simply given up or not even bothered, they wouldn't want to annoy the guy, but I just did what I needed to do. In the end I was happy and praised him so much for his patience that he blushed (and he deserved it, he was infinitely patient with me). The other customers in the building took note, as well. So I was happy, he was happy, and it was a good experience. I'm not sure if I should be intimidated by the communication problems or the uncomfortable setting I'm in but I'm not. At all. "Just do it." Is this the right attitude?

Ok, I'm outty. Y'all have a good'n.

JP

Messages In This Thread
Re: Arrived here and then questionng -- JP -- 2010-08-29
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Arrived here and then questionng

Go to another board -