TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Why IS education such a cut throat business in Asia?
Oldtimer - 2010-09-10

I liked reading your post, and I think it's very logical and true.
Whenever one reads sth on the board that one can't agree with, I think the best thing to do is to post a counter argument, and at the same time point out the flaws in the original poster's offering. If this results in a personal attack, one needn't care about it. At the end of the day, the readers can come to an informed decision If one doesn't counter tripe, then readers will only have one side of a story, and could be misinformed as a consequence.
I surmise you are still teaching in China, as am I. It's a pity that there aren't more active posters like us to spread the true word re teaching in China. Maybe some of the bolder readers are either too busy or self-serving. Who knows? But I'm sure there are many ordinary readers.
The good thing about this board is that unlike other teachers' boards it is lightly censored. That means we can build up an accurate picture of the many aspects of EFL in China. That is extremely useful, and I think the vitriol is inconsequential when contrasted to the valuable information we can get from the board. Whenever those that regard themselves as high and mighty have a go at one of us, he (or she) shouldn't take it too seriously! It's no big deal.
In an earlier post, you mentioned that some posters post under multiple usernames. I think that's so that other posters who post tripe will reply. I know of at least one of the latter who won't respond to posts posted by certain informed posters because he had previously clearly lost some of his arguments, and therefore face, in public on the board re certain subjects under debate because of their logical and factual posts. The thing is that many of that poster's responses are naive and discredit him on the board. That's a good thing for the board's readers, much more useful than if he stays silent because a red flag has appeared in his mind causing him not to post, whenever he sees the name of an informed poster who has rightly contradicted him in the past.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why IS education such a cut throat business in Asia? -- Oldtimer -- 2010-09-10
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Why IS education such a cut throat business in Asia?

Go to another board -