TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Delayed Passport & Visa
Dave - 2010-10-15

To those who keep track of who says what on here, I reported some weeks ago that my employer was giving me the run-around over the inordinate amount of time it was taking to return my passport and new residence visa. I handed the passport to them in the first week of July and by mid September despite many requests and spurious promises from various people in management, I had still not been given my passport and new visa.

I wrote them a formal letter on September 22nd giving them 7 days to return my passport with a new residence visa applied therein, or I would take legal action in Court if necessary, to force them to return it. I was first assured by an English-speaking Chinese lawyer that my employer (a public university) was not merely in breach of contract but were also breaking the law. So I sent the letter. No response was received. So I sat quietly waiting for September 30th and prepared to take immediate legal action after the National Day Holiday.

At 6.30pm on the evening of September 30th I was given my passport and new visa. I have no doubt whatsoever that my letter brought about an earlier return than would otherwise have been the case.

Moral? If you are dead in the right and your employer is dead in the wrong, then do all you can to achieve a favourable outcome amicably but if it fails then threaten them and have a lawyer standing by to go straight into Court if need be. Once you mention legal action, the employer cannot terminate your employment without facing the risk of having to pay you compensation at the instruction of the Court.

Do not be scared of these Chinese self-proclaimed potentates, for when it comes to the push and the shove, most of them are cowards.

Dave

Messages In This Thread
Delayed Passport & Visa -- Dave -- 2010-10-15
Re: Delayed Passport & Visa -- Sanguine -- 2010-10-16
Re: Delayed Passport & Visa -- Foxy -- 2010-10-16
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Delayed Passport & Visa

Go to another board -