TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Spying on Students?
Sanguine - 2010-10-18
In response to Re: Spying on Students? (Dragonized)

I support every effort to denounce wrongdoings.

As do I dragonized, I merely questions the wisdom of the location in which it was done, and the requisite pay off. Is it worth it, or not. If for you it is, great, but expect consequences.

I can't believe the amount of BS about bringing this up and why we should even talk about it.

I'm afraid that I don't sere anyone defending the school. I do see a lot of zealot time personalities using the excuse of anyone disagreeing to brand people traitors, bad foreigners, in league with the evil doers simply because they do not wholly agree with someones point of view. I see people disagreeing with the fellows actions, not with the message itself. You have clearly mistaken one message for another.

If someone dragged your loved one into the woods while you were taking a walk with her will you walk away whistling as if nothing happened?? If someone came up to you and assaulted you will you just smile like a b*tch and bow to them?

I expected someone to try and use such an extreme comparison, as I mentioned in a previous post to the Silverboy poster about the Holocaust. People often like to use extreme cases involving a moral problem to justify similar action in regards to a less extreme case. "Oh if someone dragged your momma into the woods to shoot her in the head, you'd just sit there and do nothing?" The answer is no of course not, however the two situations are not the same, someone in one scenario is forcing kids to use a cell phone plan at school, while the other involves cold blooded murder of a relative. Hmm, I fail to see the parallels here, except there is a wrong doing occurring, at least by my moral compass.

Let's also be clear here, that's all that is going on, the school is, as the OP said, making students use cell phones, I have seen no proof of anyone actually being spied on. If this were the case, I would say that is indeed wrong, but still not my concern. However that is not even the case. Why this issue is even being argued here is that a lot of people tend to assume the worst, and just run with it. Many others seem to fail to read the original post, where this person tried to justify their defiance of the school by intimating that there "might" be spying going on. I have yet to see proof of this, only a lot of wild conjecture. I also see a lot of the good old "mob" mentality going on here, as well as the good old snowball effect. Many people are just speaking out to speak out and belong, not out of any actual sense of moral injustice.

Bottom line, we know a school is forcing students to buy cell phones, or do we? We know the OP said this is the case. Even if we take him at his word, honestly, that's his only complaint. he spoke out and all of a sudden he is the next Norma Rae, and we should jump to his defense, ad run down anyone who questions his actions? I think not, that would be comparing apples to oranges. This is no labor issue, nor is it something involving workers rights at all. Nothing is even happening to him, and he is a guest in this country, using his professional position as a teacher to espouse moral and political views. Were he doing this with religion, few would defend him. However because so many decry China's moral and ethical standards we allow it? I think not.

The truth is there is a very real bias. I know that, were I a parent living in America, and my child came home and told me his new teacher, a visiting Arab, was telling students America was bad for this reason or that, that I would be very angry, and would think it wrong. No doubt this Arab, and perhaps a billion others just like him, believe he is right. Does that make his actions any more right? I think not.

You have to put your moral and ethical considerations into perspective, and view them for what they are, a personal perception of right and wrong. That many share it does not always make it right, and even if it does, you have to view things with a certain level of discernment. You can't simply lump all injustices together into one category. If everyone did that, every bad things that happened, from a stolen pen, to the atrocities that happened in Somalia, would be lumped into the same category, and treated in kind. If you say that's ridicules, just look at dragonized comparison of this cell phone nonsense to someone being dragged off into the woods. I agree, it is nonsense.

No, we are guests here, and while I say, feel free to say whatever you want, I personally feel it is inappropriate to try and force your own moral or ethical beliefs on others from a position of authority, in the guise of a professional, and using that position to do so. In your own free time, be my guest I say. On forums like this, go for it, otherwise, it's not appropriate, for reasons already stated above.

Just the amount of defending on behalf of the school on this thread goes to show the complete degradation of integrity with some people. I seriously wonder if they have problems coming to terms with their own humanity and if it's been repressed all these years or something.

WAKE UP PEOPLE! You're living in a messed up world and rationalizing everything isn't the answer!

Messages In This Thread
Re: Spying on Students? -- Dragonized -- 2010-10-16
Re: Spying on Students? -- Sanguine -- 2010-10-19
Re: Spying on Students? -- Sanguine -- 2010-10-18
Re: Spying on Students? -- Dragonized -- 2010-10-18
Re: Spying on Students? -- Sanguine -- 2010-10-19
Re: Spying on Students? -- Dragonized -- 2010-10-19
Re: Spying on Students? -- Dragonized -- 2010-10-18
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Spying on Students?

Go to another board -