TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Tuberculosis or TB
Dr Shaun Hutchinson - 2010-11-10
In response to Tuberculosis or TB (Ann)

Hi Ann

This is unusual, it may be your body developed antibodies in response to the vaccine, which never declined with age. If your chest x-ray is clear, it does not necessarily mean you are clear of TB, as TB can affect other parts of the body, such as the genitourinary tract, heart, bones, etc. I come from South Africa where TB is rife with our AIDS epidemic.

I cannot say what the doctors in South Korea will say, but if you test positive, with no signs and symptoms of infection, and your chest x-ray are clear, the doctors in Korea still may think you could have TB in another part of your body. I would get a letter from your doctor, and forward this on to the agent who is trying to find a position for you in South Korea so that they may inquire on your behalf with the medical fraternity there. Hopefully that would give you the answer you are looking for.

Coming from the USA where TB is not prevalent then I don't think you would have issues, however if you were coming from say South Africa, it could pose a problem for you.

I hope you find the answer you are looking for. Let me know what transpires.

I am also about to leave to go teach in South Korea, I should arrive in December. I wish you luck in finding a position over there.

If you have any questions then feel free to ask.

Messages In This Thread
Tuberculosis or TB -- Ann -- 2010-11-09
Re Tuberculosis or TB -- Dr Shaun Hutchinson -- 2010-11-10
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Tuberculosis or TB

Go to another board -