TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re English Corner
Turino - 2011-04-18

ENGLISH CORNER
- What exactly is the foreign teacher's role? Guest;
facilitator
; someone who responds to questions, listens, corrects pronunciation etc; chats;
organiser
;
performing monkey
?
- Is it an educational activity, a social event, or both? (Personally I see more value in taking a dozen students to KTV, having a meal together and singing some English songs).
- Is it something that has always been done without anyone asking the question - WHY?
- Is this a student activity, organised by students for students and
FTs are just "window-dressing?"
- Is it an unofficial dating agency for English Majors to meet non-English majors?
- Is it
merely
to give practice to students in organising activities?
- How many times each semester should an individual FT be involved?
- Considering the many other English or campus activities we are often expected to get involved with, just who is keeping tally of this unpaid activity? (I know I do).
- Are any Chinese teachers involved or is it seen as the sole "duty" of the FT?
- Do the organisers, where you work, check for other major campus events before suggesting dates?

I've highlighted in red what I think is inappropriate for an English Corner, English Club, English Salon, or whatever you might care to call it. I've italicised what I believe to be the contentious issues of your piece.
Re Chinese teachers being involved, I doubt they're dumb enough to give up any of their spare time for no monetary reward, as a rule. So, they're most probably unwilling to attend, and don't. In contrast, we FT's are expected to, and I've seen an FT at the last University I worked at, worrying himself to death on the headcount that attended. There is a real danger that your effectiveness and credibility as an FT is judged by your employers according to the popularity (or otherwise) of the English Corner among students. I think that's grossly unfair. Personally, I'd rather dispense with English Corners altogether. Our participation in events like them might well be counter-productive re our continued employment at a particular school/university. Chinese students have made an art out of looking for scapegoats to cover their failings. For example, they'l say the English corner is poorly attended because the FT is boring and incapable of inspiring them to learn English to cover their laziness. English corners are a no-win situation for FT's who are not good at popularizing themselves with students. I dislike them very much.

Messages In This Thread
Re English Corner -- Turino -- 2011-04-18
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re English Corner

Go to another board -