TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re:20 teachers deported. - ESL discussion
Anon - 2005-04-30

Hello!

I felt that I had to respond to this post about 20 teachers deported from Korea.
I can understand, that some of them are not genuine and probably deserved it. However, there are some innocent people who get caught up in the cross fire, they go to these countries, naive and unaware.
It is all very well for you to say: "do your research". Yet, how much research must one do?
I am in Asia and I am having similar problems. I did not realise, before I came to this country.
I have done nothing wrong, but if I annoyed the wrong people, I could get into trouble. This worries me as they hold all the cards and I do not!
It is my boss who is at fault, not me, so why should I pay the penalty for their disregard of their own countries laws?
I do realise, that when in Rome do as the Romans do, but it is not easy when you are worrying day in, day out.
This is a warning to other naive, young teachers out there.
Please, please be careful and do think hard before coming to these foreign countries. I can't stress that point enough. I went in with a fairly open mind, knowing it was going to be hard. Yet, I wasn't prepared for the other side of the coin.
Go in with an open mind and respect for the culture, but also realise that they have all the power and you have none!
They can turn it around to suit their own ends, to hell with the foreign teacher. Please be careful and good luck to you all.

Messages In This Thread
20 teachers deported last week (Pusan) Warning by the US Embassy in Korea - ESL discussion -- Jim -- 2005-04-01
Re:20 teachers deported. - ESL discussion -- Anon -- 2005-04-30
Advice! - ESL discussion -- cat -- 2005-05-03
Of course, just leave. - Teachers discussion -- JC -- 2006-03-14
Why the US Embassy in Seoul tell teachers: - ESL discussion -- Aaron -- 2005-04-04
same deal - ESL discussion -- Mic -- 2005-04-02
serves them right - ESL discussion -- laughing bob -- 2005-04-02
Visa - ESL discussion -- Jep -- 2005-04-05
Who pays for deportation? - Teachers discussion -- John -- 2006-03-14
I've heard in Thailand...... - Teachers discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-03-14
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re:20 teachers deported. - ESL discussion

Go to another board -