TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Please help me pick the right city to work and live in?
Dragonized - 2011-05-07

I don't know what your background is so I will say tentatively that from my own experience no matter where you go in china you will be in for a shock, that just comes from being in a foreign country, period. It doesn't really matter where you go, big or small city. If you have the "blue eyes, white face, tall stature" in terms of physical appearance you'll find it easier to be accepted into employment of all types. Although public schools are better at treating their foreign teachers. If you're thinking about bringing in a better education and changing the cultural landscape, you can forget it, ain't gonna happen.

Foreigners in china in general can be some of the most jaded groups of individuals. To quote a former colleague of mine they fall under the "misfits, missionaries, mercenaries". You'll be hard pressed to find consistent friendships which have reciprocal quality. It's always dealing with others' opinions and problems and having them dump their opinions on you while you find it hard to vent and voice any opinions you have unless they are in total agreement with you.

Don't come here unless you have tolerance not only for a different culture (which would mean you have traveled, worked, and stayed in other places) but also patience for the weird types of people back home. Good luck to you!

View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Please help me pick the right city to work and live in?

Go to another board -