TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › TEFL Int'l memories - ESL discussion
Elephant - 2005-05-18
In response to The 'Cowboy' Way in TEFL - ESL discussion (CitySlicker)

Yeah, I remember going from TI's training center in Ban Phe to the government school up in the hills of Rayong. That was a beautiful school, that Chaloem Phrakiat Srinakarin, Rayong. One could see the Gulf from there, or so I was told. I never saw it in my 6 visits--it was too smoggy. Part of that smog was from the songtaew we had to ride back and forth from Ban Phe to Rayong.

Yeah, those diesel-smoke-belching stink pots called songtaews. I won't forget those...EVER. I especially loved it when diesel exhaust would get sucked up into the bed where riders sit while it was moving down the highway at speed. Being able to hold your breath for up to fourty-five seconds at a time is a good skill to have in Thailand.

I remember vividly one time on the way back to Ban Phe from that school in Rayong, the driver took a 'short cut' through back (dirt) roads. I and my fellow students, about 17 tuition-paying suckers, were completely covered in dust and soot when we finally got back. I say 'finally' because it actually took about 15 minutes LONGER using the short cut.

You'd think the guys at TI would provide better transportation to and fro than just a cheap songtaew. After all, the 'owner' of TEFL International makes a killing on tution--1600 USD a pop times 20 students on average every 5 weeks. Yeah, he can do a LOT better than a stink pot. He can do a LOT better on a LOT of things at TI.

Cheapskate.

Messages In This Thread
The 'Cowboy' Way in TEFL - ESL discussion -- CitySlicker -- 2005-05-15
The Gulf of TEFL - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-19
TEFL Int'l memories - ESL discussion -- Elephant -- 2005-05-18
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › TEFL Int'l memories - ESL discussion

Go to another board -