TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › which job to take, if any
David - 2012-02-18

I have two job positions that I'm considering, and I was wondering if anybody has any advice, either about the financial aspect or the environment I'd be living in. I am married with two kids, so I'm especially interested if anybody has some insights into whether or not the salaries would be enough to raise a family on (including decent schooling) and which would be the best environment for kids. I'll also try to explain the positions themselves in case anybody has any incite into them. I don't want to include the school names, because I'm assuming schools probably do searches for their own name, and I don't really want them to see what I've posted. Here are the two positions:

1. A position as a secondary school English instructor at an International school in Macau that pays 20,000 Patacas (between 15,000 and 16,000 RMB) and will also provide accommodation and free schooling for one of my children. By international school, I believe they mean that they follow an international curriculum and their instruction is in English. I think that the far majority of their students are Chinese. Their English website was lacking some basic information, such as class size and tuition fees, which I thought seemed a little unprofessional. However, it could also be that they just didn't get very many non-Chinese students, so they concentrated more fully on their Chinese site, which I cannot read. The lady who I talked to about the position, though, seemed friendly and informative.

2. A position as an Academic English instructor to high school and college students who plan to study abroad. This position is in Zhengzhou, pays 15,000 RMB + 1000 RMB accommodation allowance. A possible red flag for this position is that, during the interview, the employer asked what my salary expectations were, and he seemed inconvenienced by them. He spent half an hour trying to explain to me (in almost whiny tones) how cheap it is to live in Zhengzhou (telling me what the 'local' salaries are, and so forth) and, once he agreed to send me an offer including the salary, terms, and conditions, he wanted me to promise to get back to him ASAP to tell him if I would accept the position. Also, I know people complain about the air pollution in Zhengzhou, and, having never lived anywhere with air pollution issues, I was wondering how serious of an issue it really is. What does the air pollution really do to you?

Messages In This Thread
which job to take, if any -- David -- 2012-02-18
Re: which job to take, if any -- Magister -- 2012-02-18
Re: which job to take, if any -- San Migs -- 2012-02-19
Re: which job to take, if any -- Magister -- 2012-02-19
Re: which job to take, if any -- David -- 2012-02-19
Re: which job to take, if any -- David -- 2012-02-19
Re: which job to take, if any -- Magister -- 2012-02-20
Photos -- Curious -- 2012-02-19