TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › An example of my own D-B - ESL discussion
RhenoThai - 2005-05-27
In response to Much appreciated, guys! - ESL discussion (Yingwen Laoshi)

Yingwen, don't even THINK you're being a 'pain' when you ask for advice.

The last two weeks, I've been working on pronouns in all my classes. During the 'beginning phase', I have first explained, using examples, English pronouns/adjectives/nouns/verbs.

During the 'intermediate stage' I've given them the short-answer HOs, which they've completed while referring to their notes taken during the beginning phase. After they finish filling in the blanks, and after I've corrected their work, I've divided them into groups and have them recite what they've written/corrected.

Here's an example of the intermediate
stage of my own 'dialogue building'. I hope it comes out in the post like it's supposed to. Remember
this--anything that is in parentheses is a clue and is supposed to be directly under a line. Students fill in each lines using its underlying clue.

_________________________ call
(Singular Subject Pronoun)
______________________________ mom every Saturday.
(Singular Possessive Adjective)

This is great practice to teach them 'POV' as well as the use of pronouns, not to mention 'logical progression'. There are two possible answers for each blank in this example (four combinations), so there is a lot of leeway. Also, in my HOs, I've written in a logical 'flow' that 'limits' possiblities. I hope my students have realized this during this exercise.

Next week I'll begin the 'invention phase' by asking them to invent their own three-word and four-word sentences using subject pronouns, action verbs, and adjectives/pronouns with some nouns. This task will fit the same pattern as the short-answer exercise, so my students should have no trouble. I'll see if my students have caught on to both pronouns and logical 'flow' when they create their own writings.

After they've finished the 'invention' phase, I'll have them recite their creations in groups to practice speaking and listening.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

RT

Messages In This Thread
Teaching in Bangkok - ESL discussion -- Hunt Allen -- 2005-05-24
First check CMU, and then BKK Universities - ESL discussion -- Elephant -- 2005-05-24
Advice on choosing a school - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-24
I know where you're coming from - ESL discussion -- SiamSap -- 2005-05-25
Good One - ESL discussion -- Yobosayo -- 2005-05-24
Bozo don't work here - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-26
I know what awaits - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-25
Yeah - ESL discussion -- Yobosayo -- 2005-05-25
You don't HAVE to be Bozo.... - ESL discussion -- Elephant -- 2005-05-26
Like it or not, I'm in - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-26
Whats the alternative? - ESL discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2005-05-25
Ppssttt......Over here. Yeah, you. - ESL discussion -- Elephant -- 2005-05-26
Re: What's the alternative? - ESL discussion -- jinchafa -- 2005-05-26
Much appreciated, guys! - ESL discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2005-05-27
Re: Much appreciated - ESL discussion -- jinchafa -- 2005-05-28
Some of my 'Other' problems here - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-31
An example of my own D-B - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-27
No third -person yet - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-28
Dialogue-building works - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-26
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › An example of my own D-B - ESL discussion

Go to another board -