TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Need help - ESL discussion
Dave - 2005-05-29

I am a 43-year-old American who has a BA in English (Secondary Teaching Emphasis), two years experience teaching English in a Colorado high school (early 1990s), and two years experience teaching language arts in a Florida middle school (2002-2004). I left both jobs of my own free will to pursue other endeavors, which did not turn out to be what I wanted. While teaching in Florida I was working on my state ESOL certification and had completed over one-hundred hours of the three-hundred hours required -- but I was the eighth grade ESOL teacher for language arts while I was working on my certification (this is verifiable through my references). Now, I want to go overseas and teach.

OK, now to my two questions.

1) Do I really need a TEFL, TESOL, TESL, CELTA, PELT E-I-E-I-O certificate? These seem to be geared toward people with non-teaching degrees, and no experience in teaching. I do not mind padding my resume with an online course if it would help, but Im not too excited about the prospect of a six-week course that would cost thousands of dollars, when I already know how to do what will be taught.

2) I would like to go to Latin America, but do not see too many jobs. I have been told that Latin employers do very little advertising of openings, and that you must go to a country and personally present yourself at a school and say that you are seeking a job. Maybe ten years ago, but If this is true, I have no problem going to Asia, but where is the best place to go? Money is not a motivator for me -- I actually have a few dollars in the bank and my student loans are LONG gone! I would like to see an interesting culture and meet people. I would prefer to teach children, but adults are fine too.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dave

Messages In This Thread
Need help - ESL discussion -- Dave -- 2005-05-29
Well, what did you decide? - ESL discussion -- Elephant -- 2005-06-16
Some thoughts - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-31
To Dave Re: Need Help - ESL discussion -- jinchafa -- 2005-05-29
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Need help - ESL discussion

Go to another board -