TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Some thoughts - ESL discussion
RhenoThai - 2005-05-31
In response to Need help - ESL discussion (Dave)

I wish I could tell you which place is 'best', Dave. It depends on what you value. I'm a serious teacher who expects a lot from my students and my school, including pay. So...let me give it a shot in the dark.

I teach in Thailand. The rule here is English teachers need both a Bachelor's degree and a TESOL or CELTA certificate. I think you'll have to get a TESOL to teach here, even though you have partially-completed ESOL course under your belt. I don't think a partial is good enough, unfortunately.

If you do need the certificate, there is no way around paying out hundreds or thousands on a TESOL course, save for one possibility: one can get a 'fake' TESOL certificate from a counterfeit document vendor on Koh Sarn Road in Bangkok. This will set him back about 75 USD. If he's careful, he can pull it off easily. I know at least five people who are running on fakes and they've had no problems. They're good teachers, too. If you are interested in the 'real deal' certificate, check out the TESOL programs in Bangkok. One place here in Thailand is TEFL Int'l. This is a good place to get a real certificate, but it's pricey (1600 USD not including airfare), at least for Asia.

As far as teaching here in Thailand goes, the pay is way low compared with schools in countries like South Korea. Also, the students aren't too motivated to learn here. Cheating is rampant where I work, as is horseplay and talking/sleeping in class. Most of my students never practice speaking/listening outside of class, which means they aren't getting any closer to proficiency as the classes go by. They need to practice if they are gonna stay out of the sweatshops.

Understand that, again, I'm a serious teacher with high expectations of my students. I'm highly offended by the cheaters and cheating I see here. If this describes you, DO NOT come to Thailand. After a year here, I'm leaving mainly because I'm infuriated by all the cheating and cheaters. I don't make enough to put up with it. I wish I would have known it was like this before I came here. I wouldn't have come here.

Some guys like it here, though. If you don't mind cheating, and you are more 'laid back', you'll be able to easily find a job in Thailand you'll like after you get a TESOL/CELTA. Just don't expect to make much money teaching here, though. At some jobs in Thailand you'll just barely 'break even' after teaching a year.

I know you'll also need a TESOL in South Korea and Japan. Some schools in SK will provide you with free training as well. If you don't get your TESOL training free in SK, you'll still be able to find a job with a school in either SK or Japan that will reimburse you for your airfare. You won't get an airfare reimbursement if you come to Thailand.

I've heard that SK and Japanese students are much more serious in the classroom, too. Go to Japan or SK and you'll be happier, I'm betting. I know you'll be richer. That's for damn sure. Who knows, you might just be able to get in a FREE TESOL course to boot. Look into it.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

RT

Messages In This Thread
Need help - ESL discussion -- Dave -- 2005-05-29
Well, what did you decide? - ESL discussion -- Elephant -- 2005-06-16
Some thoughts - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-31
To Dave Re: Need Help - ESL discussion -- jinchafa -- 2005-05-29
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Some thoughts - ESL discussion

Go to another board -