TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Many questions about teaching English in China
Teza Stone - 2012-06-06

Hello! I'm thinking about teaching English in Shanghai, China but I have a few doubts! I'll number them below because there's quite a few of them:

1) I'm Brazilian but I have a proficiency certificate (CPE). I'm worried that my nationality will get in the way of finding a job. I moved to the U.S.A as a child so my English is fluent but I have a Brazilian passport. Will this get in the way of finding a job?

2) Does speaking Mandarin at intermediate level help to get a job at all?

3) I have a TESOL certificate accredited by The College of Teachers, is it worthwhile to get a CELTA instead or can you still find a job with another TESOL certificate ( so long as it's accredited)?

4) Do most contracts offer housing as well?

5) I have a bachelor's in business, does having a college degree offer me better opportunities or better pay?

6) If the answer is yes to the above question, is it worthwhile to get a Master's degree? I'll only go to China in a couple of years so I'd have time to get one. The point is: how much do degrees influence opportunities and pay?

7) Can you really live on 5000 RMB a month?

8) If I have an extra teaching certificate ( like teaching English to kids or a vusiness English training certificate) will this make it easier to find a job?

Thank you all very much for your time!

Messages In This Thread
Many questions about teaching English in China -- Teza Stone -- 2012-06-06
Re: Many questions about teaching English in China -- juanisaac -- 2012-06-09
Re: Many questions about teaching English in China -- Magister -- 2012-06-06
Re: Many questions about teaching English in China -- San Migs -- 2012-06-07
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Many questions about teaching English in China

Go to another board -