TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad
Magister - 2012-06-07
In response to Re: Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad (englishgibson)

My family hasn’t been to Canada, since my son was born, although he has become a Canadian citizen. After visiting Hong Kong, to which my wife had to get permission for my son from a local mainland Police, my son carries cross border stamps in his Canadian passport as well as in his Chinese “Travel Document” issued by People’s Republic of China office in Hong Kong. My wife and I have been told that our son is considered Chinese and he can make his own decision when he is an adult.

My Chinese wife and i are expecting our first child in August. As i understand it, the child will automatically be considered a Chinese citizen given that it'll be born in China and has at least 1 Chinese parent. You say that your child holds Canadian Citizenship. Does that mean your child (who will also have been considered Chinese at birth) has had his Chinese citizenship relinquished? From the Chinese perspective you are either Chinese or not i.e. the Chinese authorities don't recognise dual nationality even though Canada and most other Western countries do.

Messages In This Thread
Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad -- englishgibson -- 2012-06-06
Re: Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad -- englishgibson -- 2012-06-07
Re: Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad -- Magister -- 2012-06-07
Re: Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad -- englishgibson -- 2012-06-07
Re: Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad -- Magister -- 2012-06-07
Re: Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad -- foxy -- 2012-06-08
Re: Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad -- englishgibson -- 2012-06-08
Re: Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad -- Magister -- 2012-06-08
Re: Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad -- San Migs -- 2012-06-07
Re: Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad -- San Migs -- 2012-06-07
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad

Go to another board -