TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Fake Reviews!
James Mcdougall - 2012-10-26

From fake wine, grades, certificates to fake reviews!

BKC Moscow, China, Dave's ESL Cafe, China ESL, ESL Teachers Board, Disney English, EF, English First, English First Employment Scam, EF Hangzhou, EF Hangzhou Blacklist�

I recently spoke a colleague in China, and he told me the boss just paid him 1000rmb to do some extra work and I thought it was very dodgy. He did not want to tell me, and he told me was doing some online promotion for the company.

I was under the assumption that maybe, perhaps for once this will be legitimate. He asked me if I had heard of Dave's ESL cafe, China ESL and ESL Teachers Board. I said of course, as I've seen them online and I have posted on some of these sites myself.

I asked him why is he getting so much extra to do marketing, he told me he just needs to post jobs on these websites. A few days ago, I saw his nickname that he uses for Skype on one of these boards and it was a review about the school he is working for. I told him that someone is using his name and that it's a huge coincidence that they have the same name as his Skype name. I caught him out and demanded he started telling me the truth. He finally told me, that he is getting 1000rmb extra per month to post fake positive reviews on websites to counteract any negative impacts and that it was the owner's idea.

He told me that he needed the money and he knows it's bad, but it's easy money and good money to be made easily.

EF and certain other companies are actually doing this. They would normally like to employ foreign teachers to do this, but cannot do so, therefore they are choosing teachers with a good level of native English. The reviews online are blocked in China, but they know and understand that many of the applicants have access to a vast scope of information from their home countries which cannot be hidden or deleted. They are also unable to sue.

As a result, they have decided that this is the best option. He told me that the DOS is also doing it and normally gets paid for this, but the DOS doesn't have time. So in this instance, they have employed him.

See full story here: http://ef-hangzhou-china.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/from-fake-wine-to-fake-reviews.html

Messages In This Thread
Fake Reviews! -- James Mcdougall -- 2012-10-26
Re: Fake Reviews! -- Dragonized -- 2012-10-26
Re: Fake Reviews! -- Magister -- 2012-10-26
Re: Fake Reviews! -- Individual -- 2012-11-14
Re: Fake Reviews! -- foxy -- 2012-11-14
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Fake Reviews!

Go to another board -