TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Xuzhou Middle school calculated rip-off!
foxy - 2012-11-24

Good post, Ken. Let me go into more detail re senior high school oral teaching in China.

I agree with you that a basic pay of 5,000 RMB/month is about right if an FT is teaching 16 classes a week. With that kind of timetable an FT will have 2 relatively busy days, 2 light days and one free day in the five-day working week. In terms of pay/class it equates to 78 RB/class, which is reasonable for a 40/45 minute lesson. But only if the FT has to prepare for 1 class/week, to be taught to each of his 16 classes.

However, if the schedule were 18 classes/week, an FT should expect a pro-rata pay increase, making his pay 9/8 x 5,000 = 5,750 RMB/month. But only if the FT has to prepare for 1 class/week, to be taught to each of his 18 classes.

However, for a schedule of 20 classes a week, an FT should expect a bit more than a pro-rata pay increase. That's because the job becomes more arduous than just a linear increase. So, at pro-rata rates, the FT will be paid 5/4 x 5,000 = 6,250 RMB/month. To take account of the arduosity factor, let's add 250 RMB. An FT on 20 classes/week should get 6,500 RMB/month by my reckoning. But only if the FT has to prepare for 1 class/week, to be taught to each of his 20 classes.

However, if the schedule were 22 classes/ week, pro-rata would be 22/16 x 5,000 = 7,250 RMB/month. Let's add 350 RMB as the arduosity factor. An FT on 22 classes/week should get 7,600RMB/month by my reckoning.But only if the FT has to prepare for 1 class/week, to be taught to each of his 22 classes.

However, if the schedule were 25 classes/ week, pro-rata would be 25/16 x 5,000 = 7,875 RMB/month. Let's add 625 RMB as the arduosity factor. An FT on 25 classes/week should get 8,500RMB/month by my reckoning. But only if the FT has to prepare for 1 class/week, to be taught to each of his 25 classes.

Finally, let's say those should be net salaries, meaning the employer has already paid the income tax and other deductions. And the employer should also provide a teaching assistant to help the FT prepare for class and be present in his every class to act as an interpreter and assist with discipline problems.

Messages In This Thread
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Xuzhou Middle school calculated rip-off!

Go to another board -